Home - Pet Emergencies & Medical Info - Pet Jerky Treats could be fatal

Deadly Dog Treats




More than 3000 dogs have become ill and almost 600 have died as a result of eating Chinese-made dog treats.  Most cases have been reported in America and Australia.  The treats that have been causing the problems are marketed as 'chicken jerky' treats and have resulted in kidney failure and in severe cases, death.  Unfortunately authorities haven't been able to identify the toxin that is causing the illnesses.  We are advising all dogs owners to be extremely careful when choosing treats for their dogs.  Owners should remember that treats should only be a very small part of the diet, and the same care should be taken when choosing treats as when choosing your dog's main diet.  The FDA has released these guidelines to help pet owners avoid the dangerous treats: FDA Facts: Jerky Pet Treats.  If you are concerned that your pet may have been exposed or your pet is showing signs of vomiting, diarrhoea, increased water consumption or any other signs that are unusual, please contact us to arrange an appointment as soon as possible.